cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s_samuels
Level 2

Create auto-start application on Mac?

I have a working InstallAnywhere installer that runs on both a Mac and Win7. I am able to configure the Win7 to put a shortcut in the Startup folder so that my application starts when Windows starts.

How do I do the same on the Mac?

I know that on a Mac that I need to put a plist file in the LaunchDaemon folder to trigger the app to start automatically. How do I do this?

a) How do I tell InstallAnywhere to create the plist file?
b) And how do I put that plist file in the LaunchDaemon folder?
c) Will this also create a background service that is invisible to any user that logs in?

I have my installer already overriding the user rights to force an administrator or root login, but there are several steps here that are not in the documentation for InstallAnywhere.

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
weelyn
Level 5

It's not managed by InstallAnywhere. IA provides a rather generic framework which is good for installing files, and then for Operating System specifics it depends.

a) You have to create the .plist file yourself, for instance make a template file "xxx.plist.template" then use the IA "Modify Test File" action to obtain the right .plist for the context (unless there are no parameters to be set at install time)

b) you put the plist into the Folder by simply using a "Copy File" action in IA.

c) There are several possibilities here, it's really a MacOS X question. You have to read and fully understand the "launchd" documentation, it's quite versatile.
0 Kudos