cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zeeshan12
Level 3

Copying files to system and system32 directory in windows 7

Hi,

I have built an installer using installanywhere 2011. One of the requirements is to copy a couple of dll files to system and system32 directory. I have created a batch file to do this and added it as a post installation action.

The batch file runs fine on its own and copies files but it does not copy files when its invoked by installanywhere after installation.

This is what the contents of the batch file are.

copy "%CD%\dllfolder\*.*" "C:\windows\system"
copy "%CD%\dllfolder\*.*" "C:\windows\system32"
pause

As you can see this is just a simple file that copies all files out of "dllfolder" dir to system and system32 directory.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

You've got native copy actions within IA, why don't you use them?
0 Kudos
zeeshan12
Level 3

Where is that option located and how would i copy dll files using that into the system32 dir?

Is there a documentation/support page anywhere that explains how to do this?

Thanks
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

In the Install Task, if you click the Add Action button, you choose General tab, you've got the Copy File and the Copy Folder Actions. You can select your copy targets (be that one or more files) and as for destination folder you can use these two Magic Folders:

System Folder (32-bit)
$SYSTEM_32$
The default 32-bit System folder on a system.

System Folder (64-bit)
$SYSTEM_64$
The default 64-bit System folder on a 64-bit system.

All this information is to be found in IA's help.
0 Kudos
zeeshan12
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks, the copy files issue has been sorted but I have another problem now that I would appreciate if you can give some help with.

The setup runs on system and works fine. I have a log file that my application writes some actions to. It is failing to write into that file, I think its an issue with file permissions on windows 7? :confused: The log file is located within the install directory.

On Windows XP, same setup runs fine and I can see entries appearing in log file.

Could you please suggest any work around for it.

Thanks
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

When does your application write to the log file, during installation or afterwards, once the installation is finished?
0 Kudos
zeeshan12
Level 3

Hi,

It writes to the file after the software has been installed. Its just a log file to record any errors that occur during the application is working.

Thanks
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Then I guess it's an application / OS issue, not an installer one.
0 Kudos