cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david_to
Level 3

Choosing key directory in component

Hi Ian,

I have a question related to the generation of patch installer.

In the knowledge base article for creating patch installer, point #7 for finding component in registry action is used to return the location of the installed key file.

I have a scenario where I have sub-directories (and no file) at the top level of installation directory. I want to create a patch to update one of those directory, for which I need to get the installed location of that directory. Is there a way to choose a key directory instead of a key file in the component  by which I can easily get the sub-directory location inside installation directory?

Regards,

Rahil

0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @david_to / Rahil,

Thank you for your post. Sorry about the delayed response.

No, my understanding is that you must have and use a key file to be able to find the install location using the Find Component in Registry Action. From that point, you would need to somehow parse the returned/retrieved path for a particular subfolder.

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

A quick follow-up question:

I am able to get the previously installed location somehow, so now if I run the patch installer, it is updating the previous Uninstaller folder by removing the uninstaller of base version, leaving no option to uninstall the tool.

Is it required to create uninstaller with patch installer template and would it still be able to uninstall complete folders created by base installer version?

Let me know if anything is unclear.

Thanks & Regards,

Rahil

0 Kudos

Hi @david_to / Rahil,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, my understanding is that you need to include an uninstaller with your patch installer, if you want to be able to uninstall the product. So in this case, yes, you would need to include an uninstaller if you want to be able to uninstall your product. My understanding is that the uninstaller would completely remove the product.

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos