cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyjin
Level 3

Choose Folder panel

This might be a dummy question - does the "Choose Folder" panel set any IA variable to the user selected folder? If yes what is it? If no how do I reference the user selected folder in later action?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

I'm not sure I understand your question. I've just checked and the Choose Folder action stores the result into $USER_SELECTED_FOLDER$. Personally, I find it more comprehensive and I use it instead of Choose Install Folder (I rename it to be Choose Install Folder).
0 Kudos
andyjin
Level 3

Here is my situation - In my pre-install steps I have to use two "Choose Folder" panels to ask user to choose the (already) installed locations of the two 3rd party software. In my post-install steps I copy some files from the 3rd party software from these two locations to my software installation location.

If the "Choose Folder" panel saves the result to "$USER_SELECTED_FOLDER$" how do I distinguish the two 3rd party locations? If there any numbering schema like the "MAGIC_FOLDER" does?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Oh, is all clearer now (and simpler! 🙂 So you have to use twice this panel, but in the both cases it's the same variable. In IA whenever you have this type of input panel, you'll always have a default variable, which might work if the panel is used only once, but not in your case. So all you need to do is to rename the variable for the two cases, say $USER_SELECTED_FOLDER_1$ and $USER_SELECTED_FOLDER_2$, or even clearer $USER_SELECTED_FOLDER_FOR_3RD_PARTY_SOFTWARE_NAMED_FOO$ and $USER_SELECTED_FOLDER_FOR_3RD_PARTY_SOFTWARE_NAMED_BAR$
0 Kudos
andyjin
Level 3

Where can I change the default variable name from $USER_SELECTED_FOLDER$ to $USER_SELECTED_FOLDER_1$ and $USER_SELECTED_FOLDER_2$?

I tried using the "Selected Folder:" field in the panel but that resulted in NULL values when I referenced them in later action. Is there other way to re-define the variable name?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Have you modified your 2 respective panels to have the Selected Folder be stored into $USER_SELECTED_FOLDER_1$ and $USER_SELECTED_FOLDER_2$?
0 Kudos
andyjin
Level 3

I see what's wrong in my installer now - I use "USER_SELECTD_FOLDER_1" in the Selected Folder field. I need to put "$" to both end of the variable name. It works now, thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
kritika1
Level 2

hi
where can I change the default variable name
0 Kudos