cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seemeena
Level 3

Can one installer create a new installer at run time ?

I want to generate a new installer i.e. install.exe as output of one installer. That means when I click on install button in the installer it should generate me a new install.exe.

Can I dynamically create a full new IA installer with files packaged inside the installer?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

In theory, in order for the installer to build another Installer you would need to temporary install a copy of InstallAnywhere, register it, and launch the build.exe in order to build the installer. In reality, I hardly see how you could achieve such a thing!...
0 Kudos
aaa123
Level 3

seemeena wrote:
I want to generate a new installer i.e. install.exe as output of one installer. That means when I click on install button in the installer it should generate me a new install.exe.

Can I dynamically create a full new IA installer with files packaged inside the installer?

Just curious what your use case is?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

aaa123 wrote:
Just curious what your use case is?

I actually had the same question in mind; honestly, I couldn't come up with a use case for this need...
0 Kudos
seemeena
Level 3

Actually I have a component which is divided into 2 components because one is used by the support team and the other one by customers.
Now the one used by the support team captures the user inputs and packages the new files that should create the second installer(with all the files packaged inside it).

This second installer will be used by the customer to install the feature.

The dynamically creating second installer is required because the files to be packaged in the first installer will be changed frequently or may be everytime support team runs first installer.

I hope, the requirement is clear now.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Be that so, I still don't think you can do it... How you'll be able to track all the versions if file change... depending on the customer?!?
0 Kudos