cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rollinsruss
Level 3

CDROM installer with custom file layout

I'm trying to figure out a way, if possible, that I can create a disc-based installer that doesn't compress everything. More specifically, the software I want to install should be runnable from the disc as well as installable.

The only way I can figure out how to have both runnable and installable files on a disc, with InstallAnywhere generated installer, is to overlay the generated disc install folder with the common files and then invoke a custom Copy Folder Action post-install. However, that solution is a bit of a hack and also communicates erroneous disk space requirements...

Is it possible to create an installer that doesn't reference a zip file and do as I'm requesting?

Thanks in advance,
-Russ Rollins-
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DSEyers
Level 3

You could do what you suggested and set the disk size for Disk 1 to CD size, minus external folders, minus the VMs on the first disk.

We did do this, but when we added the new VM packs for 64bit OS's (latest version of InstallAnywhere) disk 1 grew too much!

That mean't we would have to have some custom folders not known by the installer on disk 2! Then how would the copy command work? Did not see options to say from disk2. We did use a variable to say from location running\..\xxx\xxx

In the end we placed everything in the installer and used Speed Folders. But then everything is zipped....

We wanted to add folders so support could just update some folders on a harddisk and then burn that and the compiled folders to cds.
0 Kudos
rollinsruss
Level 3

@DSEyers:

Thanks for the info. I've pretty much given up on this option as I have found no viable solution, looks like we'll have to go for InstallShield 2008 and bide our time for our multi-platform release. I really like InstallAnywhere but this is a show-stopper for our product.
0 Kudos
DSEyers
Level 3

There's always paid support. Maybe one of support is worth a go, then buying another product and getting use to it.
0 Kudos