cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ravikumarj
Level 4

Access registry on Win64 platform

Hello.

We have our application deployed on various platforms of windows including Win64. Although it was not needed until now, we now need to maintain a counter in the windows registry (during Post-Install phase of building the installer).

The service provided by InstallAnywhere API - com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32RegistryService is limited to access Win32 platforms only. Is there a means by which we can access the registry on Win64 platforms?

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
ravikumarj
Level 4

I did not find any solution to this problem despite a good amount of effort 😞 Am implementing my solution using a properties file!

I actually could've used cmd.exe in conjunction with REG ADD command or similar registry commands... But this solution wouldn't work on Vista! So files is the only solution.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Maybe it's a Vista registry issue, then (if it doesn't work on Vista?) Maybe the registry model changed in Vista?
0 Kudos
ravikumarj
Level 4

PV,

There are two parts of this problem if you see...
1. No PROPER solution for 64 bit OS implementations (this is as said by IA). It means that the in built functions of IA would not work on 64 bit OS implementations.
2. Now, even if you use a workaround like manually calling cmd.exe with REG ADD or such related registry commands, the security system of Vista wouldnt allow execution of such commands from the installer.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Wow this seems like a SERIOUS limitations of 64-bit Windows support. I don't even know how they claim 64-bit Windows support if the registry actions don't work on Windows 64!
0 Kudos
ravikumarj
Level 4

Refer to the javadoc for the interface com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32RegistryService. The second sentence in the first paragraph says "This service is provided only on the Win32 platforms".

We cannot access a registry on Win64 platforms from custom code :mad:
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

I've just noticed this in my IA 8.0.1 - in the Set Windows Registry - Multiple Entries there is an option: Acces specific registry view (64-bit system).
0 Kudos
ravikumarj
Level 4

hmmm... not sure about 8.0.1. I've been using 2008 Enterprise edition!
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Well IA 2008 came AFTER 8 (it's version 9 if you like) so I guess the option should be there!
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Yes, it's there too:
0 Kudos