cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NESandres
Level 2

floating license locked to a dongle?

Hello Folks,

I searched the forums and the documentation, but I have one problem whose solution so far has escaped me.

I have a customer that wants to have their floating license locked to a dongle instead of the usual server hardware so they can easily change their server location if necessary. In my testing, I have been able to make licenses look for the dongle using the FLEXID serial number instead of the server's MAC address. However, what do I do about the hostname? I can't specify "ANY", since then the system will look for a hostname called "ANY", not for any hostname. Am I trying to do something impossible?

I also have looked at the FLOAT_OK option, but I am unsure how to configure the clients to look for the server. In this case, is there a variable to specify instead of port@host? Also, I am not sure if this would work anyway, as it seems to be limited to one counted license (?)

Thank you in advance if anyone has some input on this.

Andres
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

In a SERVER line, you can use the name this_host in cases such as this when the host name is unknown. Please see the ProgRef-LF.pdf section "SERVER Lines" for more information; the same section mentions the environment variables you can set for clients to find the server.
0 Kudos
NESandres
Level 2

Hi RobertDickau,

Awesome! That is just what I needed. Thank you.

Andres
0 Kudos