cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lysemose
Level 4

What default port number should I use in the SERVER line ?

Could someone give me an advice on which port number I should assign
as default in the SERVER line when generating license files ?

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers indicates that I can just
pick one in the range from 49152 through 65535. I do not think it is worth
the effort to go for a registration in the range from 1024 through 49151.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Actually, the optional port number isn't used in the license signature, meaning an end user (license administrator) can change it without invalidating the license. If you do specify a port, the documentation recommends using port numbers in the range 27000 through 27009...
0 Kudos
lysemose
Level 4

I know that the port number is not included in the signature and that the end-user can change it, but I want to set a default port number that does not violate registered port numbers or other rules.

Page 109 in the FLEXlm end user manual says: "Macrovision recommends
using port numbers outside the range of 27000 through 27009".

Should I just pick one from the dynamic/private range, for example 50000, or what is your recommandation ?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

From the "License File: Syntax" chapter of the Programming and Reference Guide, it seems the recommendation to use numbers outside the 27000-27009 range applies to three-server redundant configurations; here is the quote:
TCP/IP port number to use. This can be edited by the license administrator. If not specified, FLEXnet Licensing will automatically use the next available port number in the range 27000-27009. Applications, when connecting to a server, try all numbers in the range 27000-27009. Using a port number in the range 27000-27009 is recommended when specifying a port number.
SERVER lines specifying servers in a three-server redundant license server system configuration require a port number to be specified; Macrovision recommends using port numbers outside the range of 27000 through 27009.
Aside from that, from memory I'm not aware of a more specific recommendation.
0 Kudos