cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flexall
Level 2

Host ID Issue: Host ID changes upon reboot

I have a user who has the Juniper VPN service installed on their machine. Everytime they reboot the VPN network adapter returns with a different MAC address.

From speaking with support at Macrovision I was told that Flex is designed to basically pull the top MAC address Windows provides. (Viewable via command line -> "ipconfig".) This support individual couldn't really address my problem however... Currently Juniper is listed first, returning a new MAC address every boot.

What is clear to me is that if I can get the Juniper VPN adapter to "move" below the PC's internal Ethernet adapter I could fix the problem. This was evidenced by us uninstalling Juniper and getting the internal adapter listed first. Upon reinstall Juniper retook its position as #1, thus providing unique MAC addresses every boot and in turn providing new Host ID numbers every boot.

So my question is, does anyone know how to change the order of the network adapters that show up under ipconfig? (XP Machine) I'm 95% confident this cannot be done within the Windows network tools, instead will have to be command line driven or in the reg editor.

Thanks.

edit: I should add, I'm familiar with this support document from MS here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564
However, the VPN adapter does not show up through the GUI of adapters I can order like MS shows. So I'm looking for another method.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you're using lmhostid or the like to generate the hostid values, it should list the Ethernet address in addition to the Juniper adapter; could you place the Ethernet address in the license file?
0 Kudos