Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TobiaszJason
Level 6

Composite HostID using HOSTID_ETHER w/No Nic. Card Installed

My current composite key is made up of the following:

int hostid_list[] = {HOSTID_DISK_SERIAL_NUM, HOSTID_ETHER};

Depending on whether or not the nic. card is enabled/disabled, I get back a different 12-character hex string.

My question is, when there is no nic. card enabled/installed, what is the behavior of when lc_init_simple_composite, and more importantly, what is the behavior when lc_checkout is called? Is the HOSTID_ETHER part of the composite key used or is it ignored?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

From a test calling lc_init_simple_composite with a hostid type not supported on the test system (specifically HOSTID_FLEXID6), lc_init_simple_composite returns error code -127, LM_COMPOSITEID_ITEM_ERR, "An item needed for composite hostid is missing or invalid."

Robert
0 Kudos
TobiaszJason
Level 6

That's odd, I'm not getting an error back. I'm using a box with absolutely no NIC installed. Hmm, I wonder what is going on.

I also find it rather weird that the signature for the license file is different based on the number of Virtual Machines w/bridged networks that are installed on the box.
0 Kudos
drrushi
Level 3

TobiaszJason wrote:
That's odd, I'm not getting an error back. I'm using a box with absolutely no NIC installed. Hmm, I wonder what is going on.

I also find it rather weird that the signature for the license file is different based on the number of Virtual Machines w/bridged networks that are installed on the box.

What does the lmhostid utility return if you run it on the machine which doesn't have a NIC card? If that utility returns some ethernet value that is probably what's being used for HOSTID_ETHER.

Can you elaborate a little more on the second question?
0 Kudos
TobiaszJason
Level 6

I ALWAYS get a 12-hex string. I never receive an error.

Also, this 12-hex string changes based on what bridged networks I have enabled that are used for Virtual Machines and/or Hamachi.
0 Kudos