cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GordonS
Level 2

Accidental future date

My CAD suite is licensed using FlexNet.

The date of this machine was accidently set to a date in the future. After the date was restored.

At startup I get:

Licensing error:
The system date appears to have been set back. Cannot continue.

bor other but ut presumably similar problems.

The entire CAD suite is presently unusable because of one accidental mouse click.

On this site due to limitations of an accounting package, the system date is changed for a while, every month at month end, for month-end balance.

Is there any way to get this machine/license recovered besides a total machine rebuild, which is the only reliable suggestion I've had so far?

Work with Dx/PADS is only a modest part of my whole work here. A rebuiild would be pretty disasterous as it involves many, mant, unrelated packages and licenses.

What can I do, please?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Your best first step might be to contact the publisher of your CAD suite, to see if they have tools or policies related to system "repairs".

(These forums are intended for authors of products using FLEXnet licensing, and because there are so many settings involved in a product's licensing configuration, we can't provide a general approach that will work for all licensed products.)
0 Kudos
GordonS
Level 2

Oh, Sorry, I posted again as I didn't see this thread was moved to a different forum [or am I perhaps confused about the forum I originally posted?]. I guess it helps if I know what product does the licensing. All I know is it's "FlexNet".

RobertDickau wrote:
Your best first step might be to contact the publisher of your CAD suite, to see if they have tools or policies related to system "repairs".

(These forums are intended for authors of products using FLEXnet licensing, and because there are so many settings involved in a product's licensing configuration, we can't provide a general approach that will work for all licensed products.)

I'd already contacted them. Their suggestions were to make sure all file dates were sane (done, including modify and accessed dates). Remove lots of files and restore them (they're network files, so I just unmapped the drives) and to rebuild the machine from the ground up .. not really a sane option.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
wmarek
Level 3

There is no magical reset command. The FLEXnet API uses a specific algorithm for date checking. If the publisher of the software package does not know how to reverse this for their application, then they need to contact Macrovision Technical Support for help. The process of resetting can be painstaking (it is supposed to be so that people don't do it whenever they want to abuse their license terms) and won't be much different than what they have already described.

If you have a license file, this is pretty much the only option.

If instead you performed an Activation (i.e. the license is stored in Trusted Storage rather than a text file) you should contact the vendor to perform a Repair transaction. The Repair will reset the Trusted Storage and should eliminate the clock wind back error. Some software publishers may offer a Repair as an online process with no limitations, others may require you to contact them and set limitations on doing repairs such as requiring a maintenance contract or limiting the number of repairs a single customer can perform.
0 Kudos