cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hanther
Level 5

Update Service Merge Module not Patching

I am having trouble getting the update service merge module to be patched from a pre-2.20 version to 2.20 with my app's patches. I have posted a question regarding the patching of this in the Developer forum, but I have other questions related to this...

I thought I read somewhere that the update service would automatically update itself when you connect to the website to check for updates in your app and there is a new version available. I have built a custom update service interface that doesn't use the web site or wizard interface though, does that have something to do with it? Is there a way I can get my customized interface to perform the necessary work to do this?

Thx...
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

The ISUS runtime will update itself no matter which ISUS APIs you are using. As of Oct 14, we haven't yet posted the "self-update" to take the current runtimes to version 2.20. As the runtime changes in version 2.20 were mostly new features, there isn't a pressing need to get the new runtime distributed. But we are planning to release the "self-update" before the end of October.

Having said that, I would like to learn more about why the ISUS runtime is not getting patched correctly. Can you post a link to the other thread?
0 Kudos
hanther
Level 5

0 Kudos
Christine_at_IS
Level 3

Can you provide us some more information about your projects?

We followed your instructions here to create the scenario and it updated ISUS as expected:
1) Install Developer 8.0, Create a new Basic MSI project
(Previous1.ism).
2) Set the version to 4.30.0001 in the GI view.
3) Add a File (Notepad.exe) and Select the InstallShield Update
Service (1.20) merge module.
4) Build the Setup.
5) Install Latest Build of Update Service (2.20)
6) Save Previous1.ism as Latest1.ism and Set the version to
4.30.0004 .
7) Build the setup .
😎 Add a Patch Configuration in patch design view with
Latest1.msi as latest setup and Previous1.msi as Previous
setup.
9) Build and Install the patch on Base MSI (i.e. Previous1.msi).

Was your version 4.30.0001 an original installation or was it itself an upgrade? And, if so, what kind of upgrade?

Thank you for the additional information.
0 Kudos