cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ethorne
Level 3

Service gets hung if error during download

We are testing in the live environment to see how things work for our users before our new products go out with the Update Service. Here is the scenario as detailed by our tester:

1. Install product.
2. Launch the app.
3. Indicate that you'd like to download the update.
4. The security alert will pop up. Click No.
5. Download Failed dialog is displayed. Click Resume.
6. Download Failed dialog is displayed again with an error code 404. Click Cancel.
7. Click Yes to cancellation.
8. Go to the Help menu and select Check for Updates.
9. Bask in the glory of the "Currently another session of Update Service is running on your machine."

For some reason, the IUS download manager is hung up in the process list (ISDM.exe). It took some time after exiting the product for ISDM to go away.

Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks,
Ellen
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
ethorne
Level 3

Some more information:

It appears that if a user has any problem with seeing an update from the application or from the Update Manager and then returns to try again, they either get an error about the Update Service currently running or do not see the update anymore. The only thing that has fixed this is to log off and back on the machine.

That seems somewhat cumbersome.

Is there more information I can provide to determine if we are doing something incorrectly? Is this expected behavior?

Thanks,
Ellen
0 Kudos
stanbridge
Level 2

I am an absolute computer novice so please bear with me. My searching brought me here...

I have CorelDRAW X3 and Installshield Update Manager has recognised that there was a new update available. It said that I can click "Install" to automatically download AND install the update... or I can click "Download" to just download the update and install it later. I chose the download option to save having to download it for both of my PCs here (it's 27Mb).

The problem is... it didn't say where it was downloading the update exe to. Can someone tell me where this would be - or how I can fin out where this would be?

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!
0 Kudos
ethorne
Level 3

I don't know where it would have been saved, but you can search for it. Right click on the Start button in the bottom left corner of your screen and select 'Search...' from the menu. A window will open. If you are sure the file was named update.exe, type that into the file name box. If you aren't sure, you can use the option to search by the modify date to look for any files from the last day or two. Be sure that the 'Look in:' drop down box is set to search your C drive and click the Search button.

You will get a list of all files that meet the criteria you specified. You should be able to find the file you downloaded - if not, try changing your search criteria.

Good luck!
Ellen
0 Kudos