cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shashi1983
Level 2

Regarding Db Backup

The problem is related to database backup while upgrading. We are supposed to support upgradation from 1.0 to 1.1 and further versions but need to preserve the contents of the table created by the previous installer.
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking... is it your application which needs to perform the backup or are you referring to self-hosted Update Service? Could you please clarify...

If you're upgrading Update Service, then you would just do a normal backup of the db (we won't modify your table contents except in ways in which our product requires). Alternatively, as you'd be running on MSSQL, you can use the sp_detach_db/copy original data file/sp_attach_db procedures to create a hot copy which you could use in the case of problems.

If it's your own app, then I'm afraid that I cannot help except to say that you'd want to post this to the forums for creating setups. Most DBMS's "alter table" statements will modify table structures without modifying data.

Regards,
Kelly

Shashi1983 wrote:
The problem is related to database backup while upgrading. We are supposed to support upgradation from 1.0 to 1.1 and further versions but need to preserve the contents of the table created by the previous installer.
0 Kudos
Shashi1983
Level 2

Regarding DB Backup, one approach is to copy the mdf and ldf files i.e. detach the dabase, copy the files and then reattach the database. Is there any other approach which is better than the previous one.

Thanks in advance .....
0 Kudos