cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sanjayavr
Level 2

Readme file with update

I would like to bundle a readme file with my update.

My customers IT dept will typically download the update onto a file server from which the end-users will update their respective workstations.

I would like to download a readme.txt file along with the single image setup. This file will normally contain installation instructions and info about the contents of the update which will enable end-users to decide whether they need to apply the patch or not.

Is this possible?
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

You can do two things.

1. include the readme in the single file installation.

2. you can link the readme to the update service UI. in doing this, all your customers will be able to view the readme. You do this when you are entering an update message. I believe the field name is titled additional information.
0 Kudos
sanjayavr
Level 2

1. Including the read-me in the single image setup won't work. I would like my users to look at the read-me *before* they run setup.

2. The problem with providing this in the Update Service UI is that my end-users will not be accessing the web page. I will use the OLE automation API to place the update in a directory on a file server and my end-users will run it from there to update their respective client workstations. The update setup.exe file is really large and it is impractical for each workstation at a customer location to download it over the internet individually.

Any other alternative?

TIA
0 Kudos