cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jan_Cieslicki
Level 4

Problem with setting up web server IIS

We are trying to use download from web server option with the update service.

We have installed a Win2k server with the latest IIS and all service packs and updates.

The single .exe file has been put into the web root directory and address specified (in Installshield/isus/....) as http://195...../cylprc.exe.

Would you be so kind and let me know what other settings are needed (on the server) in order for this to work. Update Service accesses the server OK but is not able to download the installation file
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Sunny_s
Level 6

Here are my guesses:

1) URL is not available from external source -it is not accesible if you are trying it from external source.

2) Assuming it is internal source, directory containing exe have Execute Permissions for 'Scripts and Executables'. So instead of downloading exe file, webserver is trying to run exe and send out put of the executable to the browser. Executable Permissions should be 'Scripts' only.

For changing permissions,

a) Open IIS from Start -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services.
b) Click on the website and drill down to the directory containing that exe file.
c) Right click on the directory name and click properties.
d) Almost at the end of dialog, you will notice list box for Executable Permissions.
e) Change it to 'Script' only, Apply changes and exit.

I hope this does take care of the problem.

Thanks
-Sunny
0 Kudos