cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
naveedi
Level 2

Getting "Product code not registered" for SOME users

I have rolled my own UI around the UpdateService agent. On some machines when I do a check for HasMessages() I get:

COM Error (13001)
Update Service
Product code is not registered on the Update Service Publisher Web site.

Some background in to what I am doing:

I have a stand alone Update checking tool.
This tool takes /product /version
It does a _UpdateServiceAgent.Register(_ProductCodeGuid, _RegisteredProductVersion); with the passed in information.
It then tries _UpdateServiceAgent.HasMessages(_ProductCodeGuid)

On some machines the Agent.exe returns the COM error code 13001 - Product not registered with Update Service.
The product code definately is registered. I can see it in the services.installshield.com web interface and it works on some machines.

Some other things that may be related: The license usage count has yet to go above 4. More than four computers are attempting to use the product yet the license does not decrease. We are checking the value daily over weeks and it still does not decrease.

Enabling Agent trace just shows that the communication is identical on the two machines up to the call to HasMessages(). For the machine that does not work the log file shows a -1 returned. On the machines that work much more data is returned.

Using an http proxy to look at the communication results in data very similar to the Agent.exe log file.

Any ideas on what may be the problem?
What steps beyond _UpdateServiceAgent.Register(_ProductCodeGuid, _RegisteredProductVersion); are needed to Register a product with the Update Service agent?

This is against the 4.6 agent and SDK. I just DLed the 5.0 SDK and will give it a try. I don't think it is going to help though.

I would like to email support but I am waiting on a response to my request to open an eservice login.
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
naveedi
Level 2

A bit more data concerning my bug:

If I reregister the product with the update service using a different ProductCode then I can get it to work on new machines. It is almost like I am hitting a limit on the number of machines I can do a call to _UpdateServiceAgent.HasMessages(_ProductCodeGuid) and have it succeed. We are hitting the problem around 4 or 5 machines before all other machines get the 13001 error code.

Considering this is no where near the limit of our service contract something bad is happening. The decision to not serve HasMessages is almost certainely happening at services.installshield.com itself since the communication across the web proxy for a machine that works and for one that does not work is nearly identical up to that point. I can provide log files and product codes if that helps.

Thank you for any assistance.
0 Kudos