cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealC804
Level 8

Exact purpose of Update Manager

I'm getting ready to release the next round of updates and I want to pull the Update Manager (i.e. set it in IS 10.5 to not include UM).

Before I pull UM, I want to be 100% certain of the purpose.

If my user does not have UM on their machine, will the agent still check for updates on the scheduled frequency, i.e. 30 days?

Is the UM only for viewing MESSAGES (and of course updates).

Is the only thing I lose by not using the UM is the ability to view MESSAGES? I understand I would have to write my own system to check for MESSAGES (not software updates) and then display them, somehow. And further, manage them so they don't get displayed twice.

Any feedback on what is lost by not using Update Manager is appreciated. I understand there is also some user control of update checking and periodicity, but that's not important, I set it in my install for a reason.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
NealC804
Level 8

Awaiting response please.
0 Kudos
jtnprogram
Level 3

Neal, did you ever remove Update Manager from your installation? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. If you did remove it did you run into any problems or did you find any documentation on how to do it?
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

You better believe I removed it!!! Hate that thing! I have InstallShield 10.5 which provides an option in the Update Service area to not include UM, which is what I do. I'm looking forward to the 4.5 release with a much better UM. I think it can add great value if it's not intrusive and well designed so the customer enjoys its purpose, not thinks it's spyware out of their control and they blow a gasket about it.
0 Kudos