cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealC804
Level 8

Do updates repeatedly download over and over?

I am seeing just a baffling amount of updates (patches) being downloaded from my servers. It just doesn't add up based on the number of customers, how long the new version has been out now, etc.

My theory is this. I check for Critical Updates on startup with ISUS, if exists, they download. On download completion, a flag is set prompting the user on program exit that a new update is available, do you want to install? I'm assuming they click NO.

So based on this, the next time the program starts up, it again says "I'm version this, are there any critical updates?" and of course, it will get a YES response, and I assume begin ANOTHER download? OR, does ISUS recognize this update has already been downloaded and automatically throw a "complete" in the OnDownloadCompleted event?

I think I'm going to have to write logic in my apps, as I've already done with my .NET apps (these are VB6 apps) to move the downloaded file to a update queue and when the program starts, it checks the queue for files ready to be updated, if exists, it will not do a check for any additional updates until the queue is installed. This should prevent hypothetical repeated downloads.

So, based on my theory above, is it true that ISUS could essentially be very expensive to users of ISUS for constant update downloading, and a detriment to end users of our apps for constantly having patches/updates downloading if they keep saying NO to install the downloaded update?

Your theories are invited! 🙂
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
KellyF
Level 9

When the agent detects an update on the server, it will check if a partially or fully downloaded version exists on the client. If a partially completed version exists, it will attempt to continue the download. If it's fully downloaded, it doesn't re-download the items.

KellyF
0 Kudos