cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlabout
Level 3

Answer to reinstall on new user login with Update Service

Hi All,
I also had this problem of the Installer re-installing when a user logs in after the product was installed by an admin. I changed all the "ALLUSER" permissions and beat my head against the wall. After all of that I spent a little time on the phone with InstallShield Update Service support. Wouldn't you know it....it is a feature. In the Update Service Merge module is a component called "DummyComp" which adds a registry value for the current logged in user. Since this is a key file if you log in as another user who didn't do the install it will try to fix it for you.

Here is the fix...
On the hard drive under Program Files is the InstallShield X, or 10.5. Inside the InstallShield folder is Objects and the merge module ISUS.msm
Double click on the ISUS.msm file which will bring up InstallShield. Then go to the Components folder under Organization. Inside of the Components you will see the DummyComp component. You can safely remove the component which won't affect the update service and should prevent the re-install issue.
I remove the DummyComp and then saved the original version off for reference.

Good luck all. Hope this helps.
-Doug
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
PradeepGS
Level 2

Hi Pradeep here,
Iam using Serviceaddservice and servicestartservice functions to start the service and for removing serivce iam using servicestopservice and serivceremoveservice, still service is not removing from my system please can you help in this.

Thanks and kind regards
Pradeep
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Hello Pradeep,

Your issue sounds like a question involving a setup (the Update Service doesn't have APIs for installing services, etc.) You can probably get a response by posting your question here.

Regards,
Kelly
PradeepGS wrote:
Iam using Serviceaddservice and servicestartservice functions to start the service and for removing serivce iam using servicestopservice and serivceremoveservice, still service is not removing from my system please can you help in this.
0 Kudos