cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgunawan
Level 3

404 Error on SOME update targets

Hi all,

I'm getting a 404 error on SOME targets, SOME of the time.
Some of our test cases works fine, but some of them couldn't download, even though they are on the same network.

Also, on my computer, using the update manager, I was able to download my update SOME of the times. I was able to download the file directly when I put in the url of my update in Internet Explorer.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

404 generally means that your server was contacted, and it returned a file not found error. However, that's not what a 404 means to Update Service. It seems a 404 means that the users computer attemped to get a file from a URL, but for some reason, failed.

So, two ideas here:

1) Your servers are flakey, or maybe overloaded. If people are getting a 404 error, it may mean they are trying to contact your server, and your server is only able to respond to most of the requests.
2) Some of the computers have a firewall. If the users who have the problem have a firewall, and they seem to consistently get the 404, their firewall may be blocking the users request to check for updates.

If it were me, I'd find an alternate file server, host my files there, and see if that makes any difference. Then go from there.
0 Kudos
rgunawan
Level 3

So, I actually have 2 updates notified to a particular product.
When I took off one of them, the download actually works!!
Not sure why ...
0 Kudos