Crash when attempting to connect to the Flexera activation server on a Mac with SOCKS Proxy Server set
1. Configure the Mac with a SOCKS proxy that points to localhost:8080 (How to? - Go to System Preferences... > Network, select the active connection, select Advanced... > Proxies, select SOCKS Proxy option, supply localhost:8080 as the SOCKS Proxy Server & port and apply it)
2. Install the software which includes Mac FNE (ours is 'ChemDraw')
3. Run the software, which will detect that no local license is present and them immediately attempt to check with the Flexera activation server
OBSERVED: Launch fails and a crash report is shown after some time.
EXPECTED: The application shouldn't crash trying to communicate with the Flexera Activation Server while in the SOCKS proxy network setup.
It should be able to communicate to the activation server if proper proxy settings are provided, else it should throw a show a proper exception instead of crashing.
This is therefore a request to Flexera to fix the issue in the Mac FNE libraries.
1) In one of our previous cases it appears Flexera were able to reproduce this:
Case summary: API to Auto Detect a Proxy
Posted on ?Nov 29, 2018 09:13 AM
I think I may have reproduced this issue. It has taken a little while to find the right configuration on my test MAC machine. When I run caprequest with the automatic proxy setting set then I get a 'Segmentation fault: 11' message and the app crashes.
For this to happen I had to change the network->advanced->proxies setting so that the 'Secure Web Proxy (HTTPS)' pointed at 127.0.0.1:80. With this setting I get the crash. Do you know if there is a similar setting on the machine that is experiencing the problem?
2) Some of the error report is shown below, which matches that reported by Flexera in 1) above:
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler 
VM Regions Near 0:
__TEXT 000000010b51e000-000000010b51f000 [ 4K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/ChemDraw 19.1.app/Contents/MacOS/ChemDraw
Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x00007fff68f11c92 _platform_strlen + 18
1 libstdc++.6.dylib 0x00007fff67e50245 std::string::operator=(char const*) + 21
2 libFlxComm.2017.02.dylib 0x00000001116ac79e 0x1116ab000 + 6046
3 libFlxComm.2017.02.dylib 0x00000001116c87de 0x1116ab000 + 120798
4 libFlxComm.2017.02.dylib 0x00000001116b0a53 0x1116ab000 + 23123
5 libFlxComm.2017.02.dylib 0x00000001116cad5c FlxCommSendData + 92
6 com.perkinelmer.ChemDrawBase 0x000000010bc56c24 FlcCommSendBinaryMessage + 184
7 com.perkinelmer.ChemDrawBase 0x000000010b6f79a8 TalkToServer(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned char const*, unsigned int, unsigned char**, unsigned int*, flcError*) + 193
where TalkToServer() is identical to that supplied in the Flexera examples.