cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Armelle_LE_COAT
Level 2

.ini files into C:\ProgramData folder under Windows Seven

Hello,

I would like my .msi Installer to delete an .ini file located into a "C:\ProgramData" subfolder under Windows Seven 32bits.

This .ini file has been installed by another .msi Installer.
The other .msi Installer in chained into my main .msi Installer.

I tried into my main Installer:
- to remove the file with the "RemoveFiles" action. In "RemoveFile" table, "InstallMode" value is 3 for the file to remove.
- with a Script "Custom Actions" with VB code

The .ini properties in the chained .msi Installer are:
- Override system attributes : yes
- Read-only : no
- Vital : No
- Always Overwrite : yes

My main msi Installer contains its .ini file into a "C:\ProgramData" subfolder too.
I can't modify this file unless I modify it into another folder C:\Users\Public for example and manually recopy it after.

No problem under Windows XP with "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data" instead of "C:\ProgramData"

Could you help me ?
Thanks in advance.
Armelle
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
jesse_wolfe
Level 3

Try running install "As Administrator" by right mouse clicking and choosing "As Administrator". Win7 has more strict administrative security.

I think there is some property you can set to force elevated privileges when running the msi, not sure.
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

Yes there is Jesse! When you start to define your release, there is an opportunity to set the Required Execution Level. I think it defaults to Invoker but you can change it to Administrator. Which, in a Windows 7 environment, should do what you are looking for (let you run the install as a true Administrator).
0 Kudos