dasaria
Level 3

Upgrade from Installshield 11.5 to 2013

Hi,

We have the .ism which is generated using the install shield 11.5 version. Is there a possibility to upgrade that to install shield 2013.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jlynch11
Flexera
Flexera

If you browse to your 11.5 .ism with InstallShield 2013 and attempt to open it, it will prompt you to convert the project to IS 2013.

See http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield20helplib/Content/helplibrary/ISMSIArchitecture.htm for more information on how to upgrade projects from IS 11.5.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

The upgrade gets done for you automatically when you open the .ism with IS 2013. However, as of IS 12, properties are not available to deferred custom actions. So you have to add a few lines to any of your deferred CA IS Scripts that use properties.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The InstallShield 2013 help contains an entire section of help topics that you'll probably want to scan to see if any of the other improvements and changes will affect your project.

0 Kudos
dasaria
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:
The InstallShield 2013 help contains an entire section of help topics that you'll probably want to scan to see if any of the other improvements and changes will affect your project.



Hi DebbieL,

I tried and the upgrade of the .ISM went on fine, but when i try to compile and build the package i am getting only the setup.exe where as earlier i was getting .cab files and .msi files individually.

Also i am not able to install it as it is coming out after extracting the .msi file

Your help will be very much helpful
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If you are using InstallShield in evaluation mode (that is, if you have not activated it or connected it to a license server), InstallShield generates only compressed Setup.exe files. For more information on this and other limitations of eval mode, see the following KB article:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q200900

If you have already configured licensing, you can use the Releases view to configure settings such as whether you want to generate a compressed or uncompressed release.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by " i am not able to install it as it is coming out after extracting the .msi file." In any case, it sounds like you'll want to generate a log file while installing to see what is going on.
0 Kudos
dasaria
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:
If you are using InstallShield in evaluation mode (that is, if you have not activated it or connected it to a license server), InstallShield generates only compressed Setup.exe files. For more information on this and other limitations of eval mode, see the following KB article:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q200900

If you have already configured licensing, you can use the Releases view to configure settings such as whether you want to generate a compressed or uncompressed release.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by " i am not able to install it as it is coming out after extracting the .msi file." In any case, it sounds like you'll want to generate a log file while installing to see what is going on.


Hi DebbieL,

Now we are successful in upgrading the .ism generated using 11.5 version to 2013 and even able to build the package but while installing the package it is throwing lot of errors and the package is not getting installed.

At the time of building we got the following error.
"ISDEV : warning -6506: The Msi Command Line Attribute of the release currently being built is setting the REINSTALL parameter. If REINSTALL is set for a product that is yet to be installed, no installation action will take place at all."

Does it have any impact in installing the package. Can you please help out on how to rectify this problem
0 Kudos
dasaria
Level 3

dasaria wrote:
Hi DebbieL,

Now we are successful in upgrading the .ism generated using 11.5 version to 2013 and even able to build the package but while installing the package it is throwing lot of errors and the package is not getting installed.

At the time of building we got the following error.
"ISDEV : warning -6506: The Msi Command Line Attribute of the release currently being built is setting the REINSTALL parameter. If REINSTALL is set for a product that is yet to be installed, no installation action will take place at all."

Does it have any impact in installing the package. Can you please help out on how to rectify this problem


Also please let us know how to set logging such that we can know where exactly the error is.
0 Kudos