cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ted_Lehr
Level 2

Uninstall of product's earlier version deletes the keys for the new version

Hi,

I'm working on a defect in an Installshield script project that, unfortunately, has some older code. When I do the following:

Install FoobarProduct 1.0
Install FoobarProduct 1.1
Uninstall FoobarProduct 1.0

Problem:The uninstall deletes the keys for FoobarProduct 1.1.

I've tried to following the guidelines in the URL below, testing the existence of the key, disabling and enabling logging, etc, and have been able to stop the deletion for the keys under the CURRENT_USER hive, but I haven't been able to stop it in the LOCAL_MACHINE hive (it's the one with more subkeys).

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks,
Ted

http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=%2Frobo%2Fprojects%2Finstallshieldlivinghelp%2FISLivingHelpMain2.htm%3FRINoLog28301%3DT&mgr=agm&wnd=InstallShieldLivingHelp|Main&agt=wsm&ctxid=
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
KathyMorey
Level 10

I had similar problems with earlier versions of InstallShield due to the way that InstallShield scripted projects delete keys that they create, regardless of whether other subkeys have been created outside the install.

We ended up writing a couple functions that saved the original key, then in OnFirstUIAfter, read through the saved key and restored any values that were no longer present. You might want to look at InstallSite.org for some scripting examples if you decide to go down that path.
0 Kudos