cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheese-2402
Level 4

Prerequisites for Vista

Hello,

i try to make a InstallShield-MSI-Package step by step and will lern how it works and find options to make it for me easier.

My question is about own prerequisites. In the old package with WixEdit i had a question if Python 2.5 is installed and if no, the package throws an error with message to intsall Python manually. Now i make my own prerequisite with the python.msi - package as installing file. The package write to the registry some entries (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.py/..... and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.pyw/....).

On XP the installation runs perfect, but when I install on Vista, the UAC-question comes, I enter the admin-password in and the installation starts and ends without errors, but the registry-entries are not existent.

Can anybody say why or ist this a known error on vista?

Thanks
cheese-2402
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't think Vista and UAC have much to do with this (although I could be wrong). It seems more likely that there is an option whether or not to register the filetypes, and the way your prerequisite installs it, this option is not selected. I haven't looked, though; could you try logging the python install to look for hints?
0 Kudos
cheese-2402
Level 4

I try it, but the python.msi-package is not my package 😞
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I took a quick look at the python msi file, and these registry keys are installed as part of the Registry.def component under the Extensions feature. Is that feature getting installed?

The keys themselves are part of the user-selectable hive; is the installation being installed with ALLUSERS=1? It looks like that's normally set by a dialog, so your silent install may have to do so manually.
0 Kudos
cheese-2402
Level 4

Thanks for this answer, i try it today.

Sorry for my long abstinence, i've to do some other projects in the past.
0 Kudos
cheese-2402
Level 4

It works fine, thanks!
0 Kudos