cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jshield
Level 3

ISMP11.5 Nullpointerexception

There is no error while compiling the program but when tried to build it gave me these error.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.installshield.product.actions.JVMResolution.build(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.actions.UninstallerJVMResolution.build(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.ProductWriter.buildProductBean(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.ProductWriter.buildProductTree(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.product.ProductWriter.build(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.isje.product.ProductProject$ProductWizardWriterSupplement.writeSupplement(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.wizard.WizardWriter.write(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.isje.build.Builder.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Please tell me it is related to what?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
ketan_karnick
Level 2

Have been getting a similar error. Tried restarting the machine, but it did not help. No idea as to what this error means.
Please see below for the complete log snippet : -

[exec] java.lang.NullPointerException
[exec] at com.installshield.product.actions.JVMResolution.build(Unknown
Source)
[exec] at com.installshield.product.actions.UninstallerJVMResolution.bu
ild(Unknown Source)
[exec] at com.installshield.product.ProductWriter.buildProductBean(Unkn
own Source)
[exec] ERROR:java.lang.NullPointerException
[exec] at com.installshield.product.ProductWriter.buildProductTree(Unkn
own Source)
[exec] at com.installshield.product.ProductWriter.build(Unknown Source)
[exec] at com.installshield.isje.product.ProductProject$ProductWizardWr
iterSupplement.writeSupplement(Unknown Source)
[exec] at com.installshield.wizard.WizardWriter.write(Unknown Source)
[exec] at com.installshield.isje.build.Builder.run(Unknown Source)
[exec] at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
0 Kudos
enanrum
Level 9

I've had similar issues and not sure what causes it - I think it is when I have a few projects open at the same time, editing and saving projects - some stuff seems to disappear from the .uip file!

For example, I do my build installs on UNIX so when I opened my project and built it - I had the same problem as ketan_karnick. When I CLICKED on the "Product Uninstaller JVM Resolution" in Application Data->Launchers->click the Advanced View on the bottom->Product Uninstaller-> Product Uninstaller JVM Resolution - I was getting JVM errors in my xterm window!!!! Thankfully - I had a backup of my project and when I did a diff on my 2 files, the whole JVM uninstaller section was missing from my .uip file!!! I basically closed my project and manually added the section to my .uip file!

This has happened to me in a couple of other different areas of the .uip file, usually will get an array error or something! You can usually find out where in the project the error is from - at least when I'm on UNIX, when I've clicked on say a component, my GUI didn't open the component and I got messages to my Xterm window - not sure what the Windows one does, but then I looked in the .uip file and went to the component I could see that for example, there were 3 files added to a files action and the components array value was showing 1!

If you do not have a backup, you can open up another project and go to the Uninstaller section and copy the Uninstaller section - for the most part they should all be the same for your products!

Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos