cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigoldsofty
Level 4

Converting Project Types

I have a project that generates and MSI file to install a windows service. I have now been requested to release this a merge module (MSM file). Is there a quick way to convert from one project type to the other.

I've tried starting one from scratch but it sadly gives me errors about have a product code which is not permitted.

Any help will be most welcome
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
JoderCoder
Level 8

You could try to export the components from the MSI project to a merge module project but you might run into the limitations that merge module projects have. It all depends of the nature of your package. Nevertheless, it is not a recommended way. See this:

http://forum.installsite.net/index.php?showtopic=3629
0 Kudos
bigoldsofty
Level 4

I atually have the .ism file for making the MSI file and would like to convert that to an alternative ism which will build the MSM file.
I tried building the ism (for MSM) from scratch but keep getting errors about a product code not being allowed, even there isn't one.
0 Kudos
JoderCoder
Level 8

How are you trying to change the product code? Is it part of a build script? You should take out the part that is trying to change the product code since there isn't one.
0 Kudos
bigoldsofty
Level 4

I just went to open a new project and selected MSM and added the files under the files section, as outlined in the Help. I figured it would be no more complex than that.

After I got the error during the build I looked through the Property Manager and it did contain a product code entry, which I then removed but it made no difference. I'm not sure where to look to find the offending option.
0 Kudos
bigoldsofty
Level 4

I started again from scratch and this time it built without errors.
What is the best way to test that it actually installs correctly?
0 Kudos