cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foerdi
Level 4

SharedDLL by default

I'm curious... Can someone please tell me why IS always sets the "Shared" setting (msidbComponentAttributesSharedDllRefCount) when creating new components, by default?

Best practice would be using Windows Installer reference counting and to use the Windows reference counting only for legacy stuff
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I believe it all comes down to guessing the worst case scenario. We have a lot of people using our product who don't pay as much attention to each and every setting as perhaps they should, so a bad default can wreak a lot of havoc.

Obviously if a component is correctly marked shared or not shared, things are great. But if an unshared component is marked shared, or a shared component is marked unshared, which can have the worse effect? I.e. is it worse to occasionally leave an unshared file behind, or to occasionally delete a shared file that something else relies on?
0 Kudos
Tobias79
Level 5

Ok ... just reactivating this old thread: How can I change the default behavior of IS2010 to set shared by default to No when adding new files?

And how to modify the behavior that at build time InstallShield sets shared to no when scanning for dependencies for these dependent components?

Thanks and regards,
Tobias
0 Kudos