cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Setup.exe Icon Resource Question...

I remember posting a while back about changing the icon for the Setup.exe used to encapsulate packages. One has to edit the .exe in Visual Studio. I was wondering if there was a way or if its been suggested to develop a way to select the icon to be used for each installation on the Setup.exe tab, possibly, in the Releases view.

We have several different products with different icons. I would like to use just one company icon, however, and leave the display of the other product specific graphics for the installation process themselves, but I don't know how that is going to fly.

I would guess one would have to add the additional resources in Visual Studio then select the particular resource by number. I believe this would be similar to icon selection in the Shortcuts view.

Is there any mechanism to handle this in 2012? We will be upgrading to that version in the very near future.

Thanks for any info!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
DemonPiggies
Level 7

Are you using InstallShield that comes packaged with VS? Because under the Setup.exe the "Single Exe Icon File" option is present and editable and I have local copies of my icons for IS's personal use. I link the shortcuts (under the Shortcuts section in the System Configuration tab) to my actual applications which use a copy of the *.exe's icon.

So I have 1 installer icon (which technically I can have 1 for each of my release types) and multiple application/*.exe icons that are set using VS.

Like this except using an actual icon versus the *.exe's icon.

Is this what you are talking about or did I missed your question entirely?
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

I'm not using the version packaged with VS. I am currently using InstallShield 2010 Professional but will soon be switching to InstallShield 2012 Premier.

Currently, in 2010, I don't have the Setup.exe icon file option on the Setup.exe tab.
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

ok... weird but try this...

Under Additional Tools look for the ISReleasePro table. Then find the SingleExeIconName and enter the path to your icon.

I was wrong I am using the an *.exe's icon so mine looks like: MyApp.exe,0

There should be an entry for each release so I have multiple entries and it seems that a bunch of tables are suffixed with "Pro".
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Where are you selecting "Additional Tools" from as I don't see that option either.

I might mention that this is not integrated with VS at all as I don't know if the option(s) you are referring to are VS related or not.
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

No I'm using the full InstallShield 2010 Professional.

I'm also using a InstallScript project so I'm not sure if it differs completely from your screen...

Under the Installation Designer tab (at the top near the "Start Page" and "Project Assistant" tabs) and in the left section with all the difference sections (like "Installation Information", "Organization", "Application Data", etc) at the very bottom you should see "Additional Tools" with "Dependency Scanners and "Direct Editor" underneath it.

Click on the "Direct Editor" and all the tables should appear top to the right of it.

Unfortunately I can't screenshot it for you right now...
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

I have an ISRelease and ISReleaseProperty table. Neither of which have a Single Exe Icon Name field.

I am using a Basic .MSI Project, but when I created and InstallScript project, I don't see any traces of the Setup Exe Icon anywhere.

Oh well.
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

😕 sorry I couldn't help... I knew their are big differences between the installer types but I know of assumed that certain things remained the same.

The only other thing is open the *.ism in notepad (or some such text editor) and see if there is an icon entry somewhere in there (since the entire thing is one giant *.xml file).

Good luck!
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

According to the InstallShield help library, this was added in InstallShield 2011:
(What's New in InstallShield 2011) wrote:
Ability to Specify a Custom Icon and Custom Version Resource Properties for Setup.exe and Update.exe
InstallShield now lets you use a custom icon and custom version resource properties for Setup.exe files that you create at build time. The icon and the version resource properties are displayed on the Properties dialog box for Setup.exe; this Properties dialog box opens when end users right-click the Setup.exe file and then click Properties. End users can also see the icon when they view your Setup.exe file in Windows Explorer. This support is available in Basic MSI, InstallScript, and InstallScript MSI projects.

The same functionality (the ability to specify a custom icon and custom version resource properties) is also now available for Update.exe files that you create in Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, and QuickPatch projects.

0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Yes, I think that is the issue since I'm in 2010. I will be installing 2012 tomorrow.

A little off topic, but Update.exe can be selected as a Patch Creation option to encapsulate an .msp, correct?

I was wondering another thing. I have our Server installation wrapped in a Setup.exe. How do I create a patch for this? Do I have to also have an additional release that is built as a compressed .msi so I can point to this in the Patch Create view?
0 Kudos