cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjlf101
Level 4

SQL Server Express

Our customers will have either SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2008 Express installed. Our installation script connects to the database and runs a set of scripts for our product. The process is fine for SQL Server 2008 but does not work for Express, failing with error:

Error 27502.Could not connect to Microsoft SQL Server 'localhost'. [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Invalid Instance()).]Invalid connection. (14)

I can't see where to specify the database instance name anywhere in InstallShield.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
ChandanOmkar
Level 8

yes, this happens in SQL Express. because in SQL express the connection is made with the following :

localhost\SQLExpress

whereas in standard edition it connects to SQL only with localhost.

So, please specify localhost\SQLExpress in the machine name where you are using SQL express, other wise your setup will not be able to make connection with the DB.

Hope this will help you.
0 Kudos
rjlf101
Level 4

Thanks for your quick reply...
Yes, we tried that but instead received the error:

Error 27502.Could not connect to Microsoft SQL Server 'localhost\SQLExpress'. [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]Specified SQL server not found. (6)

Is this a SQL Server Express configuration problem rather than an InstallShield problem?
0 Kudos
ChandanOmkar
Level 8

I dont think its an IS problem because its working fine for me. There is some configuration problem with your SQL server or there may be some error in your script.
0 Kudos
rjlf101
Level 4

The installation and SQL scripts run fine on a standard SQL Server 2008 (with TCP/IP and SQL authentication enabled).

If we try install on SQL Server 2008 Express with the same options (and specifying the instance name) then it doesn't work.

I'm happy that the scripts work ok, and the configuration appears to ok. What exactly does IS do when it connects to the database? If there's a config problem I need to know more about what IS actually does...

Do you know of anything specific that needs configuring when using SQL Express?
0 Kudos