cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juteasl
Level 3

Prevent Major Upgrade from Removing Folders

Hello!

I'm working on an basic MSI project to try and get it to perform a major upgrade. I have it working correctly but have run into a major snafu with it. It is removing the folders upon removing existing products and I can't get it to leave the folders. I need a majority of the folders to remain because they contain user created content and may be of significant size that copying out and back in isn't reasonable.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to get this to work?

Thank you!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
rrinblue22
Level 9

Uninstalling/removing the files/folders laid down by MSI is a default behavior and you are seeing that in a Major upgrade is obvious.
In your case, if you still want to retain specific folders/components you may look at the component's setting "Permanent".

Use this with caution as these files/folders will not be uninstalled at all.

Usually this setting is used in case of font files.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
juteasl
Level 3

rrinblue22 wrote:
Uninstalling/removing the files/folders laid down by MSI is a default behavior and you are seeing that in a Major upgrade is obvious.
In your case, if you still want to retain specific folders/components you may look at the component's setting "Permanent".

Use this with caution as these files/folders will not be uninstalled at all.

Usually this setting is used in case of font files.

Hope this helps.

I looked in the help and found where to make the change for the msidbComponentAttributesPermanent in the Components table.

My folders are listed and I modified the value from 8 to 24 (8 + 16 for the permanent option), but it still is removing the folders and user created content.

Did I do this incorrectly? I'm trying to parse through the log now and see what it says.
0 Kudos