cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johannes_John
Level 7

.NET 3.5 on W8

Hello,

I'm searching the best way to install .NET 3.5 ( or SP1 ) on Windows 8?

The prereques do not support W8.

Does anybody has a solution with .prq or .suite?

Regards!
Johannes
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(15) Replies
lysemose
Level 4

I modified the condition for the included .prq to enable Windows 8 and did a successfull installation on the release preview version of Windows 8 64-bit.

There is a problem since the prerequisite installer clashes with the builtin installer, but after clicking some OK buttons it completes successfully.

I think InstallShield should provide a better solution.
0 Kudos
Johannes_John
Level 7

My problem has two faces.

The first side, that IS proclaimes, that IS2012 Spring would support W8 and the PRQs don't include the W8 condition.

The other side is the missing PRQ for .NET 3.5 with the DISM command.

Regards
Johannes
0 Kudos
lysemose
Level 4

I have submitted incident SIOC-000128006 "microsoft .net framework 3.5 sp1.prq does not support Windows 8" and will keep you posted with the response.
0 Kudos
lysemose
Level 4

This has now been raised as enhancement request with the issue number IOB-000061772.
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

They don't normally tell you when this "enhancement" will be implemented, do they? Any idea?
0 Kudos
lysemose
Level 4

I have no idea if/when this will be implemented and was told to keep an eye on IOB-000061772 in the release notes.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

0 Kudos
Johannes_John
Level 7

Hello Hidenori,

many thanks for your efforts!

I've tested this prereque in a setup as real prerequisite on W8.
If I start as user in admingroup it's o.k.
If I start as standard user, give the setup.exe its needed admin account, I get following error after some time in a box titeled "InstallShield":
"Error installing Microsoft(R) .NET Framework, Return Code: 0x800f0906".
It seams to be, that the elevated rights don't reach the helper.exe or the DISM command.

Regards
Johannes
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Are you able to enable the .NET Framework 3.5 Windows feature by running the following command line manually from cmd. exe when you login as a standard user?

DISM /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All

Windows will obtain the .NET Framework 3.5 payload from Windows Update. The installation will fail if you have no access to Windows Update. For example, if your administrator has configured your computer to use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) instead of Windows Update for servicing, ask your administrator to enable the policy to use Windows Update instead of WSUS.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I had a customer email me the other day wanting to update an installer to support Win8 / .NET 3.5.

FWIW, I explained the complications of trying to call DISM and the fact that Windows Update had to be working to get the content.

They ended updating their App.Config SupportedRuntimes element to allow their 3.5 compiled application to run on .NET 4.0. They accepted that as a solution and in the end it's the simplest fix.
0 Kudos
stefanm1
Level 4

0 Kudos
Johannes_John
Level 7

I don't understand it:

The cmd with
DISM /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All
started from an admin user is installing Net3.5 without problems.

The cmd started from a standard user ( cmd started als admin nor started in admin box), elevated to that admin user before, ends the installation with error.

Question to MS: Is there any way to enable .Net35 on W8 as standard user?

Regards
Johannes
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I can imagine many things that could go wrong. For example:

GPO may have windows update disabled for the user but enabled for the admin

A firewall/proxy might allow access for the admin but not the user.

The same problems could happen for a deferred / no impersonation (SYSTEM) custom action.

The bottom line is it's just got a lot harder to install .NET 3.5 on Win8. Microsoft is really encouraging moving on to .NET 4.0+.
0 Kudos
THintz
Level 3

This is frustrating because Microsoft SQL install requires the .net 3.5 feature to be enabled, it neglects to enable it, and flexera can't provide a workaround.
0 Kudos
Toonvr
Level 2

Hi

I have the same problem, Return Code: 0x800f0906
How can i check the return code in a custom action" I want to display an error message
'Ask your administrator to enable the policy to use Windows Update to install 3.5 .Net Feature'
What kind of Condition/Properties do i need?

Regards
Toon
0 Kudos