cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liorafar
Level 6

Managed Custom Action

Hi! sorry for posting again but i really need help from someone.
I'm trying to write a managed custom action that will get me the files in components that are going to be installed. im trying to use InstallShield.Interop.Msi dll to do it but it cant give me components that have not been yet installed. Do you familiar with a function that can retrieve the components and their files while installing???
I'll Accept any answer, its really urgent!
Thanks in Advance! Lior.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Server
Level 5

Good recommendation for you - forget InstallShield .NET custom actions.

Use WIX Deployment Tools Foundation ones. They are MSI DLLs for InstallShield. They have excellent error handling and can include referenced assemblies if they are not in GAC.

Personally I have business success with this.
0 Kudos
liorafar
Level 6

First of all thanks! it is really helpfull
Now what I need to know is how can i get the files for each component that are going to be installed..Is there a way to retrieve thier name and pathes??
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Server
Level 5

Use LINQ for Windows Installer in DTF - my suggestion. It should help. Of course if you familiar with LINQ itself. 🙂
0 Kudos
liorafar
Level 6

the session holds database property that keeps all information on the current msi( its actually the database in the direct editor in the installshield). than you can execute query(database method) to retrieve the filenames from File table.
Actually you can retrieve that way any information on the msi in run time.
Thanks to everyone that helped anyway!
0 Kudos