cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Holger_G
Level 10

InstallScript Installation takes a longer time when Microsoft Update is enabled

I´ve noticed that my InstallScript project Installation takes a longer time (up to ~30-60%) to complete when Microsoft Update Service is enabled (happens with XP and Vista).
Can anyone else reproduce this effect?

-Nick
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
swapna
Level 2

Hi,

I have Also have same problem. can any body help .

thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Interesting, just to be clear, what exact project type are we talking about? I'd like to look into this.
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

So to be clear, is this correct?

You are saying that you have an InstallScript based installation and when you install it on a machine that has Windows Update enabled, it takes 30%-60% longer than normal?
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

It´s a pure InstallScript project (migrated from DevStudio9).

Yes, when Windows Update is enabled the installation takes longer, but it depends also on the CPU.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Try calling

Disable( PCRESTORE )

in OnBegin. Does this help?

InstallScript makes some system restore calls which are very time consuming on Vista.

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
InstallShield, A Macrovision Company
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Is Windows Update downloading/installing anything when you are trying to run the setup?

I know Windows Update when a system is started can tend to use a lot of system resources if updates are required.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

Either new updates were ready to download or they were downloaded and installed while installing the project.
(It would make a little bit sense that the installation slows down when Microsoft downloads and installs new updates in the background).
0 Kudos
Not applicable

In my experiences, Windows Update tends to dominate a machine when it's trying to check for or download updates on Windows Vista. I've experienced slowdowns to the point where the start menu search wouldn't even respond to my keypresses before.
0 Kudos