cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcstar
Level 3

Basic MSI upgrade issue

Greetings all,
this is the first time I've dealt with upgrades for a basic MSI project. I've gone thru all the docs on minor, major and patching. So I've gone thru and setup a minor upgrade but now I'm finding out that the only way to have this work is if I wrap my msi in the setup.exe launcher. This isn't what we want. I thought that MSI handled upgrades better than this but I guess I'm wrong or I'm doing something wrong.
We have used MSI before but it was wrapped with another exe into a self extracting exe which then passed the params. This time we were wanting to just use straight MSI with no wrappers.

Is there some to handle an upgrade without having to pass params to the msi package? So basically I want my users to be able to just launch the MSI and it detects they are upgrading and then it proceeds from there upgrading.

I'm not changing the product code but the versions are changing, on the installer and all the files. This is just the standard for our build process.

Thanks,
Jon
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Unfortunatly that's just the way MSI works. You either have to have a process manager (setup.exe) handle this for you or you have to pass in the REINSTALL and REINSTALLMODE properties by hand.

This isn't the case for a Major Upgrade since it'll have a new ProductCode and the Upgrade table will drive removing the old version as part of the transaction.
0 Kudos
jcstar
Level 3

Chris,
thanks for the quick reply.

Jon
0 Kudos