Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jos3ph
Level 2

component installed though its parent feature is not

Hi all,

I have a Basic MSI project and the following installing log:

MSI (s) (54:5C) [11:41:46:892]: Feature: Synchronize; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null

MSI (s) (54:5C) [11:41:46:908]: Component: CBTSynchronize; Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (54:5C) [11:41:46:908]: Component: CBTSynchronize.Download; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (54:5C) [11:41:46:908]: Component: CBTSynchronize.Upload; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null

All the three components are associated to that feature. Why is the first component installed? I'm installing custom features by adding in ISScript to ADDLOCAL property which seems to hold the right list of features before installing them.

Also, while looking in this log, I noticed these three components which I can't find in my IS project:

MSI (s) (54:5C) [11:41:46:892]: Component: __CBT.Binaries66; Installed: Null; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (54:5C) [11:41:46:908]: Component: __CBT.ClientConfig65; Installed: Null; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (54:5C) [11:41:46:908]: Component: __CBT.Binaries65; Installed: Null; Request: Local; Action: Local

I do have the components CBT.Binaries and CBT.ClientConfig and they are installing as expected:
MSI (s) (54:5C) [11:41:46:908]: Component: CBT.ClientConfig; Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (54:5C) [11:41:46:908]: Component: CBT.Binaries; Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Local

Is anything to worry about?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
HenryL
Level 5

0 Kudos
jos3ph
Level 2

I have discovered the cause of the problem: .NET scan at build.

Some .NET assemblies are used by several IS components, and even though they are copied locally for each component, the automatic search for dependencies installs all the other components using them, even if the parent feature is not selected. Setting .NET scan at build to "none" fixed it.

Those __CBT.xxx components are still present in the install log, though searching in the .ism project file I didn't find any reference to them.

much later edit: thank you, HenryL, I missed your answer when I replied to this thread!
0 Kudos