cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nitsev
Level 6

Verification issues

What moron implemented the verification procedure for InstallShield 2008?

1. When purchasing the upgrade I received the serial number with no dashes, just a long string.

2. When I am required to enter the serial during installation it must be entered with dashes

3. I can now start IS2008 but it wants to download the licensing hotfix. After downloading and installing the hotfix IS2008 tells me that it is in trial mode and will expire after 21 days. My serial is also gone although I already entered it in step 2.

4. I click Active to enter my serial number. I pasted the entire string without dashes and then it tells me that I must register the serial number first.

5. When I try to register (again without dashed) it tells me that my serial has aleady been registered.

6. I visited the forum and found the article that informed me that the serial in the activation wazard must be entered with dashes. After that it worked.

How hard would it be to make sure that all these places use the same format for the serial number? The verification wizard form could have 3 different fields for the serial number just as the installer to avoid confusion. There's not even a text that informs me of what format I should use.

Why is the serial number not kept after the licensing hotfix is installed?

Why am I required to register at all. If I activate that should be enough for Macrovision. Not even MS requires you to register in order to activate.

This is my first encounter with IS2008 and I am not impressed so far...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
nitsev
Level 6

..and when I build my first converted project and run it on a test machine I get.

"This setup was created with an EVALUATION VERSION version of InstallShield"

This is humor but I am not amused, maybe amused to death...
0 Kudos
Androns
Level 4

this "feature" is implemented for security reasons 🙂
0 Kudos
nitsev
Level 6

Androns wrote:
this "feature" is implemented for security reasons 🙂

Of course it is, but maybe some testing would be appropriate first?

After reinstalling I simply don't download the update and it works fine without it.
0 Kudos