cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vijay_rb
Level 3

Upgrading from InstallShiled 6.2 to InstallShield 2010

Hi,

I am migrating my vb application to .NET.
the vb app had InstallShield 6.2.
Now I have Installshield 2010.

My steps:
1. First I want to upgrade the exisitng installshield 6.2 project to 2010
2. Once that is succesfull, I want to make changes so that the now instead of the older vb application it installs the .NET app.
or maybe use the upgraded installshield 2010 project for vb as a reference and create a new one for the .NET app.

My Issues:
1. The existing Installshield 6.2 had an .ipr file
Openning it with 2010 asked if I wanted upgrade. I clicked Yes.
it then asked if I need to upgrade the setup.rul script, I clicked yes.

I got the below errors:
[CODE]
The project was successfully backed up to C:\Myfolder\Install_bak1\ABC.ipr.
Upgrading Project Settings
** Warning -62: Could not find section [Language] in file C:\Myfolder\Install_bak1\ABC.ipr
** Fatal error -112: Could not find section [Project:Properties:Product] in file C:\Myfolder\Install_bak1\ABC.ipr
** Error 30624: ** Fatal error -112: Could not find section [Project:Properties:Product] in file C:\Myfolder\Install_bak1\ABC.ipr
> MLogging.LogErrors
> IsIsmMigrate.CISPro70Handler.GetKeyValues
> IsIsmMigrate.CIsProMigrate.MigrateIPR
Project migration completed with 2 errors and 1 warnings.
[/CODE]

The 2010 IDE did not show anything after this.
Later I opened the upgraded ism.
It again asked me if I need to upgrade the project. I clicked yes.
It asked me about the setup.rul script.
this time I got some message like this: (just posting a few)

Upgrading table _Validation
Upgrading table Binary
Upgrading table CheckBox
Upgrading table Property
Upgrading table ComboBox
Upgrading table Component
Upgrading table Control
Upgrading table Dialog

Now the 2010 ide shows two other tabls, Project Assistant and Installation Designer.
But there are no setup scripts or files which were in the older installshield prj.
The prev 6.2 ver had a setup.rul file with a lot of code. (about 17 pages)

My Questions:
1. What is wrong?
2. Is my approach correct?
3. or should I just a new .NET installshield project?
4. How do I ensure that I don't leave anything important which was in the prev ver?

I did take a look at the help from InstallShield for upgrading from prev versions
There is not much information given.

Please help.
Thanks
V
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
pavanred
Level 4

I recently upgraded from IS 7 to IS 2010. I didnt face any major issues as you did. The process of migration was simple. I was prompted if I want to upgrade my project. I selected yes. Then a prompt asking if I want to upgrade my installscript with the lastest notations (I don't remember the exact message but this is what it roughly meant.) I choose yes.

The project migration was successful. But, I had a few compile errors caused by references of some obsolete header files etc. I removed these references and IS project worked fine. Now, I just have some bugs that I have to fix, but the IS project is compling and running fine.

I guess similarly, it shoudl work with your IS migration from 6.x to 2010.

Answers to your Qs (to the best of my Knowledge)
1. The migration backs up your project before it starts. Try re-doing it again. I am not sure but your error messages suggest it couldn't find some necessary file sections. Check if your existing project compiles nad runs fine.
2. Yes I am pretty sure this is the correct approach because I followed the same and it worked from me.
3. I dont think you need to create a new installshield project, migration should work fine.
4. If migration is successful then you nothing will be left out from the prev version.
0 Kudos