cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surya4u
Level 4

Upgrade removing the files.

Project Type: Basic MSI

Brief description: We are planning to support the Patches for our installers. So I have started modifying the project to support the patches. Now in the upgrade scenario it is removing some of our files.

Upgrade type: Install setup then remove unneeded files

The modifications done for our project are as below.
• Applied components best practices.
• Previously some components are having dynamic linking so removed them and made them static linking. Some components are with static linking but not having the key files so added key files for those components.
• I have not deleted any of the components so the components GUID’s are not changed.

From the Log what I found is initially it is installing the files and in the removal of older installation it is removing the files. As previously every component is not having a key file and now I made key file for every component I think it is removing the files.

Could any one please suggest how to overcome this problem and we don’t want to change our upgrade type.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Reureu
Level 10

I think this issue was already discussed in an old thread:

The location of RemoveExistingProducts might be the culprit.

You might have to move it before the CostInitialize action, but this might make some validations fail.
0 Kudos
surya4u
Level 4

I have tired the moving the RemoveExistingProducts to CostInitialize.
For our product this is not working it is leading to BOD because we are handling the drivers installations. So i dont wan to remove the product before installing the upgrade.

Please let me know if there is any other way to handle this.
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

BOD? What does that acronym stand for?
0 Kudos
surya4u
Level 4

BOD stands for Blue Screen Of Death or Blue Screen Error.
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Funny that! Our setup does install some drivers, but the corresponding components are configured as "Permanent", so the set never deinstalls the drivers.
As for your BOD, you might want to fix the driver itself, otherwise the BOD will also occur if someone manually deinstalls the driver.
What do you reckon?
0 Kudos
surya4u
Level 4

I recently joined in this company so I am trying to implement some best practices. As part of that my first step I am trying for Component best practices implementation.

Thank you for suggesting me for making it as permanent so here I would like to know some details like
If I make it as permanent whether it will be replaced if we want update with Patch/Major release?
0 Kudos