cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guptarajesh75
Level 3

Upgrade do not copy files

All,

I have done a Minor upgrade of our product. I have added one more component and file (to existing component), but install shield upgrade fails to copy the files. I have also enabled the log file but didn't see any error in the log file.

I am using InstallShield 2008 and project type is InstallScript MSI project. Other existing files are being updated. Only this new component and file is not being copied.

ANy help will be highly appreciated.

thanks
Raj
Labels (1)
(14) Replies
guptarajesh75
Level 3

Anyone who can help me with this?

I have tried everything. I have tried the small update, minor update, changing the GUID of the components and moving the files to existing components istead of new components.

I am not sure why these files are not getting copied. I have also looked at the log file and it does not show any error.

thanks in advance?
guptarajesh75
Level 3

After analyzing the log file, the upgrade does not even attempt to copy the file. I can see the filecopy command for other components and files. But for one component it doesn't even attempt to copy the files? Any idea why it would not even attempt to copy the file.

I went through the properties of the component and i do not see any reason why it shouldn't copy the file. I do not have any condition. Rest of the files are being copied.
Yes, this component is associated with the feature. When i do the fresh install then there is no issue. The issue only comes up when i try to upgrade.

My system is x64 system and somehow this is working fine on 32bit systems.

This is the only different in the logs when i analyzed them on 32 bit and 64 bit system are statements below.

MSI (s) (2C:FC) [10:45:59:347]: Skipping RemoveExistingProducts action: current configuration is maintenance mode or an uninstall

MSI (s) (2C:FC) [10:46:02:365]: Executing op: ComponentRegister(ComponentId={55674EDD-4AAA-4318-B28B-F90921583ABB},KeyPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Vormetric\MSEO\agent\bin\ssleay32.dll,State=3,,Disk=1,SharedDllRefCount=1,BinaryType=0)
MSI (s) (2C:FC) [10:46:02:365]: WIN64DUALFOLDERS: Substitution in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Vormetric\MSEO\agent\bin\ssleay32.dll' folder had been blocked by the 1 mask argument (the folder pair's iSwapAttrib member = 0).
mask_sd
Level 3

The Component you are saying about has any Key Files under it and are modified during upgrade. Modify the key file under component.

If no key files under component goto properties of file by right click and check "Always Overwrite" for the File.
0 Kudos
guptarajesh75
Level 3

Thanks alot for the reply. I really appreciate this.

I have already tried that. I have modified the key files and marked these files "Always overwrite". Still it does not copy the file. I have changed the key file to another file and marked all the files as "always overwrite".

This is what i see in the log file

MSI (s) (E0:74) [15:42:55:984]: SELMGR: New components have been added to feature 'pem'
MSI (s) (E0:74) [15:42:55:984]: SELMGR: Component 'NewComponent1' is a new component added to feature 'pem'

Does this new component has anything to do with this?

I was getting the message that component is removed. I checked the previous project to find out which component its complaining about. But i was unable to find any component with that GUID. So i added this new component and gave that component the same GUID (GUID which it was complaining about). That message is gone, now i am seeing this new component message. Is this preventing filecopy.

I have attached the log file with this message. I have tried almost everything which i can think of and read in the previous post. Still no luck.
Ranjit_Kumar
Level 6

Why dont you try with the major upgrade.
0 Kudos
mask_sd
Level 3

Hi Rajesh

Can you just describe underlying files in your component?

State wheather component having kind of files under it and which files you want to update?

One of the option you can try with minor upgrade as patch is to set the Include Whole Files property in Advanced Tab of Patch View for Installscript MSI Projects.

Try this and let me know, If I can further help you?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

You mentioned this:
I was getting the message that component is removed. I checked the previous project to find out which component its complaining about. But i was unable to find any component with that GUID.

That may be a sign that you were using dynamically linked files for your earlier package, and you deleted those dynamically linked files for your upgrade. If you are not using the patch optimization functionality that is described in the following help topic, you may encounter the issue that you described.
http://helpnet.acresso.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installshield15helplib/UpgradeConsiderations.htm
(See the "Upgrade and Patch Optimization" section in that help topic.)

So, if you aren't already, try specifying the previous Windows Installer package in the Previous Package setting on the Build tab for the release in the Releases view.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
guptarajesh75
Level 3

Hi guys, thanks for reply.

Major upgrade is not an option for us. As customer may have to perform lot of manual steps.

component GUID {DC38CDAD-F37C-42B8-A929-B196231DEAC3} and name is DRIVER_IA64. We have two files under this component.

vmtape.sys and apps

I have attached the screen shots and log file again. It just doesn't even try to copy this component.
0 Kudos
guptarajesh75
Level 3

Thanks a lot for your help.

We are releasing "setup.exe". Looks like this setting takes only .msi. Is there any other place where i can specify this setting with setup.exe.

thanks for advance

DebbieL wrote:
You mentioned this:

That may be a sign that you were using dynamically linked files for your earlier package, and you deleted those dynamically linked files for your upgrade. If you are not using the patch optimization functionality that is described in the following help topic, you may encounter the issue that you described.
http://helpnet.acresso.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installshield15helplib/UpgradeConsiderations.htm
(See the "Upgrade and Patch Optimization" section in that help topic.)

So, if you aren't already, try specifying the previous Windows Installer package in the Previous Package setting on the Build tab for the release in the Releases view.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If your .msi database for your earlier version is compressed into a Setup.exe file, you'll need to run Setup.exe from the command line with the /a parameter:
Setup.exe /a
The /a option causes Setup.exe to perform an administrative installation. An administrative installation copies (and uncompresses) your data files. When you do this, the .msi database will be extracted to a folder. Then you can specify this .msi file in the Previous Package setting on the Build tab for the release in the Releases view.

Here are some other things for you to check:
*Is the feature that contains the DRIVER_IA64 getting installed? I couldn't tell from your log file. I'm not sure which feature contains that component.
*Have you tried running validation? Validation may help you identify where the issue is.
0 Kudos
mask_sd
Level 3

Have you tried 'Include Whole Files' property in Advanced Tab of Patch View.
This will include files as whole instead of binary differences.

As I had already through same case of errors.
Further if issue continues.
First Install the Last patch correctly on testing machine again try with current patch. This will make sure that file is not interrupted manually and belongs to Installation of product.
Then Check if files updated properly.
0 Kudos
guptarajesh75
Level 3

Hi, thanks again for the help.

Yes feature (PEM) which contains DRIVER_IA64 is getting installed. when i run the fresh install, then everything is fine. The issue is with the upgrade.

There are other components in the feature PEM. Those components are getting updates. The only component in the feature PEM DRIVER_IA64 is not getting updated.

I am working on your earlier suggestion, which is patch optimization. Sorry i am new to this and inherited all this. So i am little slow as i have to read the documentation to do some of the things.

I ran some of the validations as well. I went to tools->options->advanced tab and enable the validation. Any specific validation do you want to suggest?

thanks again.

QUOTE=DebbieL;436426]If your .msi database for your earlier version is compressed into a Setup.exe file, you'll need to run Setup.exe from the command line with the /a parameter:
Setup.exe /a
The /a option causes Setup.exe to perform an administrative installation. An administrative installation copies (and uncompresses) your data files. When you do this, the .msi database will be extracted to a folder. Then you can specify this .msi file in the Previous Package setting on the Build tab for the release in the Releases view.

*Is the feature that contains the DRIVER_IA64 getting installed? I couldn't tell from your log file. I'm not sure which feature contains that component.
*Have you tried running validation? Validation may help you identify where the issue is.
0 Kudos
guptarajesh75
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:
If your .msi database for your earlier version is compressed into a Setup.exe file, you'll need to run Setup.exe from the command line with the /a parameter:
Setup.exe /a

Thanks DebbieL for the help. Yes it worked finally. I used the previous installer and it synced all the keys.

So looks like dynamic files were deleted and they were causing the issue.

thanks again and i really appreciate everyone's help.
0 Kudos
dinesh_sharma
Level 2

Is your component is 64 bit?
0 Kudos