cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MBLance
Level 4

Trying to create and start a Windows service in IS 2009 InstallScript project.

Help says to do it via right-click of a feature using the Component Wizard. I can find no such animal.

I have a component that contains the service executable file. All I need to do is register it and fire it up. It should be really simple - should I use ServiceAddService in the script?

Any help would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Dan_Galender
Level 10

The component wizard is for MSI projects. For InstallScript projects, you can use the InstallShield NTServices Object (found under the Redistributables view), which you may have to download if you haven't done so already.
0 Kudos
MBLance
Level 4

Thanks for the pointer - now for my next silly question: Where can I find the NT Services Object? When I search for it I find posts from way back in 1999. Does Acresso have a download site for it, and why is it so hard to find things all of a sudden?
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

I'm pretty sure it's in the InstallShield 2009 InstallScript Objects file that you can download from here.

If you have the distribution DVD, it's on that disc in the Installs\AdditionalInstalls folder.
0 Kudos
MBLance
Level 4

It would be nice if the help were a little clearer on what to do for services.

Now, one more quick question - do you know if there is a similar object/technique for device drivers? I have one that is getting installed, but not started. I could write a small exe to call from script to start it, but that seems klunky....

Thanks again for the help on the service.
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

Two suggestions:

[LIST=1]
  • If you want to ask a question that is not related to your original post, you should create a new thread for it. Not many would expect a question on installing device drivers in a thread entitled "Trying to create and start a Windows service in IS 2009 InstallScript project".

• Look at the help library topic "Installing Device Drivers" for information on installing device drivers in InstallScript projects.
  • 0 Kudos
    MBLance
    Level 4

I was just being lazy 😮

And had already read the topic 🙂
    0 Kudos