cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TCUSniper
Level 3

Simple questions

Hi everyone,

I just started to work with Installshield. People say this to me all the time: 'You want to go too fast'. Same thing in this case.

I want to make my installer look like those new game installers. With a nice splash screen at the start, while Installshield is initializing the components.

Also I want to play/loop a song during the file copying process, and I want it to display some nice pictures.

I would also like to know how to define registry paths for both x86 and x64 systems.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what the best project is to start with (MSI project/Installscript or anything else).

Thanks in advance,

TCUSniper
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
TCUSniper
Level 3

Nobody can help me out? 😞
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

As a rule, if you require a fancy UI, InstallScript is generally more flexible. Some types of customers prefer MSI installations (for silent installations, consistent transformation, integration with deployment systems such as SMS), however, so you should figure that into it. The "choosing a project type" section in the getting-started part of the documentation has more information...
0 Kudos
TCUSniper
Level 3

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at it 😉
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

I humbly agree with RobertDickau. Install Shield scripts allow a lot of flexibility and MSI projects are not flexible. MSI is really good for simple installations. Like, I just want my files installed at this location. But if your product needs to modify the system, create and update database, configure IIS, ..., I would highly suggest Install Shield Scripts.
0 Kudos