cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bucko666
Level 3

Resequence RemoveExistingProducts button

This Resequence RemoveExistingProducts button in the Upgrade Paths view has been pressed (long story!) and now i am finding that once a user has installed a new version, the first time they attempt to run the updated program, it needs to configure then reboot the system. I assume this is the system uninstalling the old version, as it has now been scheduled after the InstallFinalize action as explained below

The help says:

InstallShield reschedules the RemoveExistingProducts action so that it occurs after the InstallFinalize action. Note that this resequencing cannot be undone. To learn more about the Windows Installer issue, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 905238.

Now it says it cannot be undone, but the Microsoft Knowledge Base talks of using a database editor to change that sequence back.

Does anyone know if this is possible with IS express, or another way to change it back ?

*edit*
I found this in the release notes here: http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/isexp_2008_relnotes.pdf
The help pane that is displayed when you click Upgrade Paths in the Upgrade Paths view contains a Resequence
RemoveExistingProducts button. If you click this button in a project once, InstallShield sequences the
RemoveExistingProducts action after the InstallFinalize action. If you click it a second time, InstallShield displays a
message box asking whether you want to resequence the RemoveExistingProducts action before the InstallFinalize
action. If you click OK, InstallShield resequences the action. Previously, it was not possible to move the action back
to the original point in the sequence.

I have done this, but now receive the following error during the installation of my package:

Error 2613. RemoveExistingProducts action sequenced incorrectly.

Arhghhg !
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

I submitted the work order #IOC-000070377 so that it will be fixed in a future release. At this time, please follow the steps below to get workaround:

[LIST=1]
  • Open your .ise project file in Orca.
  • Go to the InstallExecuteSequence table.
  • Change the sequence number for the RemoveExistingProducts action to 1410.
  • Save and close your project file in Orca.
  • Open your .ise in InstallShield Express.
  • Rebuild your setup.

Thank you for reporting this.
  • 0 Kudos
    Bucko666
    Level 3

Thankyou.

But now that i have resequenced it to 1410, i am left with my original problem where once a user has installed the package, the first time they attempt to run the installed software they get the following messages then have to reboot:

Please wait while Windows configures xxx

then

The setup must update files or services that cannot be updated while the system is running. If you choose to continue a reboot will be required to complete the setup.

Is this what the resequence button in upgrade paths is supposed to avoid ??
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

This sounds like Windows Installer auto-repair kicking in because something was removed during the upgrade (a Win32 side-by-side assembly or .NET assembly in the GAC) that was removed by the old package uninstall and never reinstalled with the new package (this is an issue caused by CostFinalize; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905238/en-us). Resequencing RemoveExistingProducts typically resolves the behavior.

If you are still seeing auto repair after resequencing RemoveExistingProducts, there is some other problem. To figure out why the auto repair is occurring, we would need to see the two MsiInstaller entries from the Event Viewer Application Log and possibly obtain the MSI package that performed the install. A log of the major upgrade may also be needed. This is a rather complicated thing to do over the community, so you may want to try contacting support.
    0 Kudos
    Bucko666
    Level 3

Thanks hidenori, i resequenced again and it now seems fine.
    0 Kudos