cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gridman
Level 8

Problem setting Component's Destination property

I have a Basic MSI project and am having a problem setting a component's Destination property. I am trying to set it to a property I created in the Property Manager. When I type in the property, it says it's invalid.

So, what is the trick in doing this?

By the way, the property I created will hold a path that I am setting in a InstallScript Custom Action I wrote.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I believe the Destination wants to be a property from the Directory table; you can create one using the "Browse, create, or modify..." option under the component's Destination property.
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

I see what you're saying Robert.

Then, there is no way to create a property, and use the value of the property as the Component's Destination?

If that's correct, then I will have to figure out another way to do what I'm doing.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Well, you could create a Directory property (DIR_THAT_I_WILL_CHANGE_LATER) with a dummy default value, use that as the component's destination, and then change the value from your set-a-directory or InstallScript custom action...
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

I tried that, but it does not seem to work. I am beginning to think that you can not use a user-defined property when you select a directory in the component's Destination property's "Browse for Directory" dialog box.

So, you define a new folder in the dialog, and use the property as the name of the folder, something like this, [USER_FOLDER], then say OK. The dialog will close and you are back to the Components view. So, click again on the Destination property, choose to Browse, the dialog comes back up, but this time when you look through the list of folders, you will see USER_FOLDER without the brackets. So, what happens is that it doesn't interpret this as a property, but rather as a string.

As a result, it doesn't worked like one would think. The component does not get added under the path of whatever the [USER_FOLDER] property is set to (of which I do through a custom action).
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I'm not familiar with specific issues using custom component destinations; here's a recent thread doing kind of the same thing: [thread]172663[/thread]...
0 Kudos