cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan_Peterson
Level 3

InstallScript: UAC asks if I want uninstall Microsoft Windows {GUID}

I was hoping someone else has seen my problem, but I can't find it on the forums. I built an InstallScript installer using InstallShield 2009. Our product installs nicely, but when uninstalling on Windows platforms with User Account Control (UAC) enabled we get a strange message:

----
If you started this action, continue.

Uninstall or change an application
Microsoft Windows
{FCC74B77-EC3E-4DD8-A80B-008A702075A9}

----
(see attachment)

The problem with this is that it might appear to a customer that they are uninstalling a Windows component. How do I get my product name to show up there instead of that GUID?

This may be a related problem, but I've also noticed that our product doesn't show up when I run WMI queries, for example the powershell command:

get-wmiobject win32_product

does not turn up any results for my product.

If I search the registry, I can't find my product's identifier in:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\

or

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\userData\\Products\

Any help would be great.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
vikram_karve
Level 2

The GUID shown is the AppID for appwiz.cpl, this is used to launch Add/Remove Programs Panel. Refer below registry key -
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{FCC74B77-EC3E-4dd8-A80B-008A702075A9}

The same message appears for many other software, however for some software this doesn't appear.
0 Kudos
prashant0710
Level 3

Hi,
Does anyone know if this problem of GUID/ID being displayed instead of the Product Name when the setup.exe (during uninstall) is called has been resolved in Installshield 2011?

Regards,
Prashant
0 Kudos
prashant0710
Level 3

Hi,
Does anyone know if this problem of GUID/ID being displayed instead of the Product Name when the setup.exe (during uninstall) is called has been resolved in Installshield 2011?

Regards,
Prashant
0 Kudos
prashant0710
Level 3

Thanks for the explanation Vikram.

~Prashant
0 Kudos