cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sumankg
Level 3

Installation Project Hung and Locks up only on Mac 10.7.5

I have a installer project that runs on all versions of Mac OSX except on the latest Lion 10.7.5 version. Even 10.8.0-10.8.4 work just fine as well. What seems to be happening is that the installer panel does not render correctly, and the buttons are inoperable. I have even created a brand new basic installer package within a couple of minutes and the same issue is still there.

I have included screenshots, system.log output, and console output and even the sample basic project that I created fresh using IA 2010.

The OS version is Mac OSX 10.7.5
Java version installed is:
java version "1.6.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_51-b11-456-11M4508)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.51-b01-456, mixed mode)

Only force quitting the installer is possible.

Any Ideas would be helpful? Thanks.

-Suman
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
sumankg
Level 3

Looks like this is something to do with the latest Java update on the Macs. It works on 10.7 and 10.8 systems with java 1.6.0_45 however once you update to 1.6.0_51 all installations exhibit this behavior. I was told by InstallAnywhere support that I should try the 2012 Enterprise version, and the same is true of a simple and basic install project built with InstallAnywhere 2012.

Here is the errors that I see in the console logs on a 10.8.4 machine that is exhibiting the same issue.

[CODE]
6/20/13 2:34:01.356 PM CVMServer[110] Check-in to the service com.apple.cvmsCompAgent_x86_64 failed. This is likely because you have either unloaded the job or the MachService has the ResetAtClose attribute specified in the launchd.plist. If present, this attribute should be removed.
6/20/13 2:34:01.378 PM CVMServer[110] Check-in to the service com.apple.cvmsCompAgent_x86_64 failed. This is likely because you have either unloaded the job or the MachService has the ResetAtClose attribute specified in the launchd.plist. If present, this attribute should be removed.
6/20/13 2:34:12.001 PM loginwindow[51] *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.
6/20/13 2:34:12.001 PM loginwindow[51] *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.
6/20/13 2:40:29.000 PM kernel[0] CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=635[GoogleSoftwareUp] clearing CS_VALID
[/CODE]
0 Kudos
martinatwork1
Level 2

Hello Suman,

We're having this problem too, and currently it's preventing any of our Mac customers from installing our product on any supported OS X versions, as well as preventing us from testing any installers here. So it's rather serious for us!

Our testing so far appears to indicate that the latest Apple Java update ('Java for OS X 2013-004', a.k.a. 1.6.0_15) has broken all installers built with all InstallAnywhere versions (2010, 2011, 2012 SP1, all Enterprise editions) on OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.7, each with all current Apple updates applied (and I'd guess OS X 10.6 too, but we haven't tested that yet).

Even a new all-default IA project built with the current version of InstallAnywhere (IA 2012 SP1 Enterprise) will no longer install on any of the current Mac platforms.

I've also tried to set up a fresh OS X 10.8 partition, without allowing Apple's Java (1.6) to install, and with all current OS X updates applied, and then installed the current versions of both the Oracle Java 7 JRE and Oracle 7 JDK (currently 1.7 update 25). Our installer projects are set to use Java '1.7+', so my hope was this might provide some form of temporary work-around (so that new customers could install our product again), but unfortunately it didn't help -- IA seems still to want Apple's Java 1.6.

Googling for '1.6.0_15' finds some other applications that seem to have been broken by this latest Apple Java update, e.g.:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17210607/swing-application-stuck-following-apple-java-update-1-6-0-51
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/79489-java-1-6-0_51-breaks-matlab-2012b-and-below
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/79691-java-1-6-0_51-breaks-matlab-2012b-on-mac-os-x-10-6-8
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/79530-java-10-6-update-16-issue-on-osx-10-6

We're not Java experts/programmers here (we just use IA for its multi-platform capabilities), so unfortunately I don't know enough to be certain whether they're the same issue, and whether perhaps there are some other steps we could use as a work-around to get IA-compiled installers to use the Oracle Java 7 in preference to Apple's (currently broken) 1.6.

We don't currently have a maintenance plan with Flexera (although we're looking into getting one very urgently for this!), so I can't currently contact them for formal support, but I wondered whether you might have any updates/work-arounds on the issue you could share with us in the meantime? Or any work-arounds we might be able to suggest to affected customers? Perhaps you could stress to them the severity of the issue (since all IA installers currently seem to be broken on all current Mac platforms)?

We're also going to raise it urgently with Apple's developer support, in case they'll do anything from their end (after all, it was them who broke it), and I'll keep you updated on any progress on that.

Many thanks,
Martin.
0 Kudos
martinatwork1
Level 2

I see via Apple developer support that the issue has in fact now been resolved by Apple. Here's the text that we posted on our forum for our customers:

---

We're pleased to announce that Apple have now fixed the issue.

If you hadn't already applied the 'Java for OS X 2013-004' prior to today then the version of the 'Java for OS X 2013-004' that OS X's automated software update system will now install is correct, i.e. you shouldn't experience the issue with it, so please just allow OS X updates to be applied as normal.

However, if you had already applied the 'Java for OS X 2013-004' update prior to today then you might have the issue, and OS X's updates system won't (re-)install the corrected version automatically. In that case, please download and install one of the following two updates, depending on the version of OS X that you're using:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572 (for OS X 10.7, 10.8)
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1573 (for OS X 10.6)

We understand from Apple that subsequent Apple Java updates will include the fix, so no manual steps will be needed or relevant once the future 'Java for OS X 2013-005' update is available.

To emphasize: you only need to (re-)install one of the above Java versions if you have had installed 'Java for OS X 2013-004' since its release last week, and prior to today.

---
0 Kudos