cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beacon upgrade error

Hi Forum 

We are using flexera one in our account. Noticed that beacon is not upgrading lately.

So we tried to update the .netframework and allow internet access on our environment 

on flexera webui error msg i can see :" Last download of packages for managed devices failed. Check the log file on the beacon server".

Please help us to resolve this issue .

(6) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The errors shown in the screenshots feel like the details of the beacon's installed Windows Installer package are not in a happy state.

Perhaps try totally uninstalling the beacon component, and then install it again from scratch rather than trying to manually upgrade the installation in-place. (This will preserve the beacon configuration, so you don't need to worry about losing that.)

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

we tried to re-install beacon got error as in img2.

later observed beacon app is there in system but unable to open it 😞 

If you are finding the beacon app is is still installed on the system, that suggests the beacon component and Windows Installer package hasn't been completely or cleanly uninstalled. Along with the errors shown in the screenshots, that might be consistent with the Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) installation details for the beacon package being somehow in a messed up state.

If that is what has happened, you might need to dig into the depths of Windows Installer to clean it up. After ensuring the beacon MSI package isn't visibly installed and you've deleted all installation files from the beacon, a tool like msizap might help to clean up any remaining broken Windows Installer information about the beacon package to get back to a clean enough state where you can try installing the beacon again.

You might also get some insight by looking at the Windows Installer log from from the installation. These logs can be large and hard to find information that may be relevant.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@ChrisG 

We have installed latest beacon version and everything seems to be fine. we're able to access beacon. yet as i said we are seeing this error msg : "Last download of packages for managed devices failed. Check the log file on the beacon server"

@Chris, we are seeing this "Last download of packages for managed devices failed. Check the log file on the beacon server", However logs stating policy download is successful without errors.

So on the assumption that the installation issues shown in the screenshots attached to the first post in this thread have been resolved, I would suggest looking in the %TEMP%\ManageSoft\packageretriever.log file for insight on what package downloads may be failing.

NB. %TEMP% is probably the C:\Windows\Temp directory, but it may be the TEMP directory of a service account if you have a setup that involves beacon processes running under a named user account.