cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vcenter/Esxi integration - impact analysis

Hi,

Is there any document/Referral link that we refer to prepare a vcenter or esxi integration with FlexNet Beacon?

I need the below information

1. Schedule for inventory import as per the best practice (Daily/Weekly/Monthly )
  2. Bandwidth required for transferring VM host information (approax  100 hosts )
  3. Impact of the operation in Vcenter operation (slowness or any deadlock etc.

regards,

junaid vengadan 

(1) Solution

Hi @emtmeta ,

I'm not aware of any documentation regarding this, but I can tell you how I do with my customer infrastructure:

I run the vCenter invetnory on a weekly basis, usually Sunday afternoon

Bandwidth: The .ndi files are small, the biggest .ndi file that I have for VmWare is around 65k  

Impact on vCenter, again didn't notice something and cloud team didn't raised any red flags, it takes a few seconds to generate an inventory of a host.

And customer have a lot of vCenter in infrastructure more than 70 

I hope this information is useful for you

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

Hi @emtmeta ,

I'm not aware of any documentation regarding this, but I can tell you how I do with my customer infrastructure:

I run the vCenter invetnory on a weekly basis, usually Sunday afternoon

Bandwidth: The .ndi files are small, the biggest .ndi file that I have for VmWare is around 65k  

Impact on vCenter, again didn't notice something and cloud team didn't raised any red flags, it takes a few seconds to generate an inventory of a host.

And customer have a lot of vCenter in infrastructure more than 70 

I hope this information is useful for you

@adrian_ritz1
Thanks a lot for the write up
i was preparing a risk analysis document for a client , thought of digging for some additional info/doc.

Well noted your feedback as well 🙂

Regards,
junaid vengadan
Agree in our environment we run vcenter 1x per week. .ndi small and no problem on vcenter side detected.
Frank

need the below information

1. Schedule for inventory import as per the best practice (Daily/Weekly/Monthly )

Aamer: It depends on the need,  Inventory could be daily in case VM is moving between host frequently, up-to-date host inventory will help to get VM linked to the latest parent. I would suggest keeping the discovery of ESXi/vCenter separate from inventory. Once an ESXi/vCenter is discovered, assuming IP address/hostname would not change very frequently.

1. Bandwidth required for transferring VM host information (approax  100 hosts )

Aamer: VMWare inventory is collected through VMWare API call, it does not take the long and pretty lightweight.

1. Impact of the operation in Vcenter operation (slowness or any deadlock etc.

Aamer: negligible as it is pretty lightweight and only connect to API (nothing is installed on the ESXi itself)

Hope this will help to find appropriate scheduling that will work to fulfill your business needs.

Aamer